Thursday, May 21, 2009

Beautiful Babies and Breathing Treatments

Bless this little guys heart. This kid has been through so much these past 4 1/2 months I can't believe it. Chris has it in his mind that he is going to be sick for the rest of his life.

He caught a cold three weeks ago and things were going along fine. As good as a runny, stuffy nose can be. Then about a week later I was holding him in my arms and I could feel the vibration in his lungs and noticed that he was panting when he breathed. I was really unsure but called the doctor anyway. Sure enough he has bronciolitis again. Poor guy. The funniest part was going to the doctor and having the nurse comment on how strange he is. She was there trying to count his breathing, because it was so rapid, and all the while he is just laughing, talking and smiling at her. She said it was strange because most babies when they are that ill are fussy and grumpy. She called him a "happy wheezer". That's my guy. That isn't the first time a doctor has told us that they have been thrown off diagnosing him because he is so happy and doesn't act very sick at all. What a lucky mom I am.

So he has been on a regiment of 5 breathing treatments a day and then two other medicines, one being for an ear infections that I had no idea he had-like I said happy baby. Needless to say it has become an all consuming thing. That and our simultaneous potty training that is going on things are crazy.


Every time I would sit down to give him a treatment I would try to read something or be multitasking in some sort of way and it just hasn't been going well. Since he has just learned how to use all these new things-like hands-he doesn't want to hold still for anything. Finally one night I was sitting there with him and I was trying to read the paper while I gave him his treatment and he was wiggling and making it really difficult to do. Then I just started looking at him and realized how much he had changed, and how much he looked like my husband and how at that moment I was the one out everyone that he wanted to share his smile with. I felt humbled. Humbled to be a mom and get to preserve and love this baby. I realized then how fast it all is going and I wish I could slow it down. I learned to enjoy what used to feel like a chore and turned it into my time to just sit and stare or play with my little boy. I have come to treasure this time because I have much more limited time to do it than I did with Kate. It seemed like with Kate I could sit around and look at her all day and try to memorize her face and I still can't remember it all that well. Now I realize in a small way his sickness has been a huge blessing to me. Now I have learned to take time and look at these beautiful babies that I have been given. Funny how something that started out difficult and made me pressed for time now has taught me the true value of time well spent.

7 comments:

Jade said...

He's growing up without us! In just 10 days! Wow. You don't show how hard of time you have been having. You are a really wonderful mom! Like i always say, i have a great example right next door which is a HUGE blessing because we don't live near famiy. Thanks. Miss you guys!

Janae said...

He's gotten so big! I had no idea he was going to look so much like Chris! That's crazy! He's a trooper with all this stuff going around! What a guy! He is so adorable! i can't wait to see him next! Sorry for stealin' your neighbors for a while! ;)

Michelle said...

What a doll! He has such a sweet smile. I remember Zachary was like that. He was always sick, always getting treatments. Then after one scary incident and a life flight one doctor suggested we get his tonsils out. Ever since he has had them out, it's a whole new Zachary. He still has Asthma and coughs a little after running...but it is like night and day from where he was. When he's old enough take him to an ENT and see about getting his tonsils and adenoids out.
I can't wait to see you guys again, Easter was too short. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Lauren, he is a beautiful boy. I am so sorry for all his sicknesses you guys have been dealing with, but I'm glad he is such a happy boy. I hope it all works out well (especially while doing potty training with Kate). I agree with you on the Temple Square thing. I wish I could go there anytime I wanted and walk around. I guess the good thing is that I appreciate it more though. I miss things like that though.

Megan said...

I always say how Annabelle had a rough start the first few months of her life as well, but your boy seems to take the cake. And yet he is still so happy - whatta guy. And what a good mommy you are. Your fam is so lucky to have you!

ChrissyLee said...

what a sweet boy! :)

Chelsie said...

he is getting so big, and look at the smile!! he is so handsome!! i heart him. i'm so sorry that he has been so sick laurin! you are amazing, i think you inspire me all the way back east just by your blog, i heart you