Thursday, February 5, 2009

So Blessed....

This past month has brought about many, many new experiences and challenges for our little family. It started when I had early labor for about three weeks before Carter was born. After four hospital visits and bed rest he was born. When we finally made it out of the hospital after an extended stay we were thrilled. Then we spent our first night home caring for Kate as she threw up all night long and it continued for two days until we ended up in the ER for an IV. I had never seen my baby girl so sick. It broke my heart. Then over the next few weeks I experienced three infections and thrush and a very difficult case of PPD. Then in the midst of it all Chris hurts himself playing basketball and he ends up in the ER with a severely sprained ankle and comes home on crutches.





I feel so blessed for all of these experiences that we have had. During these times I have found myself on my knees multiple times a day praying for the strength to keep going. We have been blessed by so many people with their service and their prayers. We have truly seen miracles.


This week we found ourselves again humbled by the miracles we have seen. Our sweet baby Carter started getting sick a couple of weeks ago. And Wednesday night we happened to take him in to the doctor because he had vomited twice that day. Once we were in the office the nurse took a look at him, checked his breathing and rushed out of the room to get the doctor who quickly followed her in. We were sent to the ER and admitted to the hospital. It truly was such a blessing because I had no idea he was so sick. Then the next morning he started breathing fast again. He was breathing a 100 reps per min when normal breathing is 20-40 per min. His oxygen absorption dropped so even the oxygen he was breathing wasn't being taken into his blood. They sent him by ambulance to a larger hospital down in D.C. that specialized in respiration problems and also had a pediatric ICU. They diagnosed him with bronchiolitis and RSV. They told us that as sick as he was he wouldn't be out of the hospital for at least a week. We spent the next two days in the hospital and after many prayers by us and on our behalf he was able to come home. It was a true that he was able to heal so quickly. It has been such a long week but we are overjoyed to have him home again in his own bed. He is still a very sick baby and I miss the monitors that I was able to watch and listen to telling me if he was okay or not. I miss the nurses who knew exactly what to do when something went wrong but I feel so lucky to be able to hold him in my arms without all those cords on him. We feel all the more blessed and have been able to ponder again how fragile and precious life is and how much we should enjoy every minute that we have.

This is when they started him on oxygen because he wasn't getting or absorbing enough.

At the new hospital and hooked up to all his cords.

He is having a rough week.

Getting ready to go home and finally a FREE man of all those cords! It was so wonderful to be able to hold him without all them attached.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

what a sweet little guy. Zach had RSV too. Its hard to see someone so little struggle so much. I am glad to hear he is doing better. You are in our prayers. Love ya, Michelle

Jade said...

Oh Laurin! He is getting so big and more adorable by the second! I haven't got to see him for a couple weeks and he is changing so fast! How sweet. I can't wait to hold him again. You poor things. You have been through so much. I pray for you daily...this will pass...you are so strong. I want you to know i love having Kate here...she is here as i am writing this, and i love her so much. She is so sweet and she is such a GOOD GIRL!!! I am always amazed with her. Don't worry about her, and give Carter our love. We miss you!

Janae said...

Oh!!! So Cute! He has gotten alot bigger since i saw him and that wasn't to long ago! I'm glad he's doing better! Is Kate doing better too? Poor kids! It's rough bein' sick but everyone gets it! Can't wait to see you all again! :)

Janae

p.s. When you get a chance, write me what you think of the pics when you see them! :)

Cherisse said...

I'm glad that things are going better and that you have such a good outlook! You are a great mother and example. The last picture of him is sooo cute! Keep up the good work!

Chelsie said...

laurs i'm so sorry that you guys have gone through all this. such an awful feeling to have your little guy sick and not being able to do too much for him. i'm glad that he is getting better. you have such an amazing testimony, i miss you!